Option 2: Download the Zoom launcher plugin
If you don’t want or can’t download the full Zoom Application, the Zoom launcher is a good second option. It’s only 12.7 MB and you’ll have Zooms full functionality when joining a Meeting (Zoom’s terminology for a video conference call) or webinar.
- To get the Zoom launcher plugin, navigate to zoom.us/join or click on the invitation link you received after registering for one of our shows.
- If you navigated to zoom.us/join you will be prompted to enter the Meeting ID, which is also in your invitation.
- If you haven’t downloaded the launcher before, a dialog box will appear asking for permission to download.
Option 3: Add the Zoom Chrome App to Chrome
At a 6.7 MB download, this is the lighted version of Zoom. And because it’s a Chrome App it may be the easiest way to get access to Zoom yourself without IT. That’s assuming you can add Chrome Apps on your school machine. At the time of this post (Sept. 8th) however, you will not have Zooms full functionality during webinars (e.g., polls). This is a fairly new App though and they are adding functionality to it often.
1. To get the Zoom launcher plugin, navigate to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zoom/hmbjbjdpkobdjplfobhljndfdfdipjhg?hl=en&gl=US&authuser=1 and add the App to Chrome.
2. After it’s added, click on the Chrome Apps Menu located on the Bookmarks Bar in Chrome.
3. Click on the Zoom Chrome App icon to launch the app.
4. Enter the Zoom Meeting ID from your invitation you received via email.